—— A. O Scott, NYT Movie Critic
Thanks to A. O. Scott, in his recent article on Films, Themes, and Trends, he has spelt out for me the raison d’etre of Ripple Effects. As I always say, I’m just throwing a pebble into the pond. It’s watching the splash and the out-reaching ripples that makes it so gratifying. Thanks to all your responses, the discussions following the posts have made it all worthwhile.
2010 is my record year for movies watched. As a previewer for an international film festival, I’ve had the experience of viewing over 50 features, docs, and shorts in one month. As a film lover, I’ve seen another 50 more of my own choice in the other months. They are not all 2010 productions. The oldest film for me this year is a silent black and white Ozu work, A Story of Floating Weeds (1934). I’ve also discovered Robert Bresson. His Diary of a Country Priest (1950) is probably one of the best Book Into Film adaptations I have encountered.
But, to remain timely, and we all like lists, here are Arti’s favourite movies released in 2010 (in no particular order). Click on link to read my review:
- The King’s Speech (review coming up)
- The Secret In Their Eyes
- Another Year
- Nowhere Boy
- Never Let Me Go
Is it coincidental that all of the above except one are from the UK? The Secret In Their Eyes is Argentinian. It won the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar for 2010.
Favourite books read in 2010 (again, in no particular order):
- Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata
- Diary of a Country Priest by Georges Bernanos
- The Music of Chance by Paul Auster
- Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
- Theatre by William Somerset Maugham
Favourite Interesting Search Engine Terms (words people use to arrive at Ripple Effects this year):
- elegance of the hedghog movie restroom music
- banksy telephone booth
- bird front view
- darcy wet shirt
- colin firth wet darcy
- wet colin firth
- colin fith
- darcy kiss amanda in lost austen
- little miss sunshine van
- free great gatsby iphone
- imprisonment in snow country
- revolutionary road insane son controlling mother
- to see the lost cattails soft winds and roses
- what color are pussy willows?
- virginia woolf’s crusading novel a room of one’s own
- pregnant man giving birth
- giving birth naturally
- noomi rapace piercings
- vw van
- flotsam? i’ve gotsam
- funny things inside mad magazine
- the girl with the dragon typo
Just a sampler showing you how eclectic Ripple Effects can be.
I look forward to throwing more pebbles in the coming year. Again, a hearty thank-you to all my regular readers and occasional visitors. Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are the fuel for this journey called blogging, and without your responses and discussions, there’s simply no raison d’etre for Arti to press forward another year.